We offer an Integrative and Holistic Medical to managing mental health problems in addition to more traditional medical therapies based on patient preference. Integrative and Holistic medicine is a preventative and healing-oriented medical art that focuses on the whole person and lifestyle along with dietary changes and natural supplements to manage health and disease. However, an integrative and holistic assessment usually takes more time and involves a more thorough life style review than is done in a typical medical diagnostic evaluation. Insurance does not cover these services.
Michael Banov MD is board certified in Integrative and Holistic Medicine by the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine (ABIHM). Many of our health care providers have special training in this area. We believe that the most important intervention for any medical and psychiatric condition involves healthy lifestyle changes including good nutrition, and physical activity, and incorporating activities that are rejuvenating through the week. We also believe that the path to mental and physical well-being includes a strong family, social, and spiritual foundation. While we often encourage and recommend nutritional supplements when appropriate for some of our patients, we do not believe these can replace healthy lifestyle choices.
Our integrative assessment involves careful examination of activity, lifestyle choices, and nutrition. We offer testing that may look at laboratory abnormalities, genetic predispositions, nutritional deficiencies, allergies, and intestinal or microbiome changes that could be causing or contributing to symptoms associated with psychiatric disorders. Our diagnostic tools and treatment approaches have strong scientific evidence to support their use though many integrative therapeutics have not undergone the scientific rigor of medication and other traditional therapies. However, many integrative therapies have a long clinical track record of safety and effectiveness. Our goal is to partner with you and educate you about what types of therapies may be safe and helpful with the best evidence to date.
Our Core Integrative and Holistic Philosophy Incudes:
- Optimal physical and emotional health includes maintaining a healthy diet, physical activity, and social network.
- Mainstream Western medical therapies, (also known as allopathic medicine) are helpful and imperative in many physical and mental health conditions.
- Anyone suffering from a physical or mental health condition should be educated about validated, alternative therapies and be given the choice whether to incorporate them into their treatment regiment.
- While we believe that a strong spiritual foundation can play a valuable role in one’s emotional well-being, we do not advocate any specific religious practice or belief.
- Counseling is a critical component to treating and maintaining one’s mental health. There are many types of counseling and anyone with a mental health condition should know what types of counseling options are available that could best fit their needs.
- Psychiatric diagnosis as listed in the DSM-V are not typically helpful and are often inadequate in describing one’s mental health issues. We believe more in treating the whole person and their symptoms, not a “condition or diagnosis.”