Michael Banov MD, DFAPA, CPI
Dr. Banov is a triple board-certified Adult, Adolescent, and Addiction Psychiatrist and is the medical director of Psychatlanta/Northwest Behavioral Medicine and Northwest Behavioral Research Center. Northwest Behavioral Medicine is an outpatient behavioral health group practice providing comprehensive outpatient services to those suffering from a range of psychiatric problems. He is an assistant clinical professor at the Medical College of Georgia. He has been a certified clinical research investigator since 2002 by the Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ARCP).
He has been conducting clinical trials in psychiatric and other CNS disorders since 1994. He received his B.A. in Religion at Duke University and attended medical school at Emory School of Medicine. He completed an internship at University Hospital in Boston in Internal Medicine and completed his psychiatry residency at McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School. He has conducted over 150 clinical research studies in all areas of psychiatry including depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD), anxiety, post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), sexual dysfunction, weight management, addiction, and smoking cessation to name a few. He continues to see patients on a daily basis which gives him a unique perspective in integrating research findings into real world practice. He has authored over 25 scientific papers in the area of psychiatry. His practice is a training ground for medical students, residents, and master level nursing students interested in learning more about the outpatient practice of psychiatry. He is actively involved in screening patients, rating, and assessing safety in each study conducted at his site.
- Title: Top Mistakes People Make with Antidepressants Publication: LifeScript Date: January 12, 2011
- Title: Discontinuing Psychiatric Medications: What You Need to Know Publication: Psych Central Date: January, 2011
- Title: SSRI Discontinuation or Withdrawal Syndrome Publication: Psych Central Date: January, 2011
- Title: Taking Antidepressants: Your Comprehensive Guide to Starting, Staying On, and Safely Quitting Publication: Psych Central Date: January, 2011
- Title: Sleep Deprivation and Teen Depression Publication: QualityHealth Date: November 2, 2010
- Title: How to taper off your antidepressant Publication: Harvard Women’s Health Watch Date: November, 2010
- Title: Book review: ‘Taking Antidepressants’ Publication: The State Date: September 15, 2010
- Title: 8 Steps to Take When Considering Antidepressants Publication: Healthier Talk Date: September 12, 2010
- Title: Wrong Reasons to Quit Antidepressants – Why You Shouldn’t Stop Your Meds Publication: AOL Health Date: September, 2010
- Title:Don’t go cold turkey – Reducing your reliance on antidepressants requires patience and a doctor’s involvement. Publication: Health Key Date: August 28, 2010
- Title: Don’t go cold turkey Publication: Chicago Tribune Date: August 28, 2010
- Title: Taking Antidepressants: Until Death Do Us Part? Publication: Basil & Spice Date: August 18, 2010
- Title: Guide to Anti-Depressants, and The Carb Lover’s Diet – The Health Show 8/10/10 Publication: Shine Date: August 10, 2010
- Title: 7 Questions to Ask Before You Stop Antidepressants Publication: HealthNewsDigest.com Date: July 27, 2010
In addition to conducting clinical research studies, Dr. Banov regularly consults and speaks for a number of pharmaceutical companies.
In full disclosure, the companies he has consulted with or spoken for are listed below. If you are concerned about any possible conflict of interest, please discuss this with Dr. Banov who will be happy to address your concerns and inform you on exactly what type of consultative services he performs.
Companies (and the products currently or has spoken for) include:
- Eli Lilly-Zyprexa, Cymbalta
- Bristol Meyers Squibb-Abilify
- Astra Zeneca-Seroquel/SeroquelXR
- Angelini Labopharma-Oleptro
Hours Available :
(This list may not be up to date, please check with your insurance company)
Dr. Banov is not currently accepting patients under 21 years of age